The Windhorse Approach is based on a powerful combination.
To begin, we create a highly adaptable, whole person recovery environment, which invites a person’s natural urges toward health. Combined with offering proven treatments for our client’s psychological disorders, our approach creates optimal conditions for a genuine and resilient path of recovery.
Who do we best serve?
We serve adults, ages 18 – 65, and we sometimes work with younger teens. Our approach is particularly effective for complex and high acuity mental health challenges, which can include:
- Psychotic disorders
- Mood disorders
- Personality disorders
- Autistic spectrum disorders
- Anxiety disorders
- Complex co-occurring challenges
- Complex family challenges
In the words of one of our long-time psychiatrist collaborators,
“I refer to Windhorse for a variety of reasons, but especially when I have no idea what will actually be helpful for someone and how long it will take.”
An Individually Tailored Approach
Many professionals, agencies, and hospitals refer clients to us who don’t fit neatly into standard therapeutic options.
People who have:
- The need for a structured, step-down from an inpatient or residential setting.
- Strong preferences for a non-institutional therapeutic setting.
- Repeated difficulty making successful attachments to programs or therapies.
- The wish to explore being on minimal to no psychotropic medications.
- An unclear diagnosis or constellation of diagnosis.
- A need for family’s close, long-term involvement in recovery and life planning.
- The need to explore their sexual identity.
- Spiritual or religious inclinations which are integral to their life meaning and expression.
We understand how a person may begin and sustain a resilient recovery path, and we offer a comprehensive array of therapeutic options designed to meet our clients individual needs.
Work is one of most powerful elements in furthering a person’s recovery. We provide a continuum of services that prepare, place, and support our clients in finding work that’s a good fit.
Our innovative variety of social, educational, and whole person health options, flexibly engage our clients interests, inviting them towards a balanced and meaningful life.
Our Family Support Group is offered to all families, providing a time for people to meet one another, and to share support and collective wisdom.
If you haven’t worked with a Windhorse team, I highly recommend it…It’s a complex and rich set of experiences and conditions that have made my work with Windhorse so personally gratifying and I think so valuable to a number of patients and clients that have been involved.
– Earle Shugerman, MD.
Length of Treatment
Generally, a Windhorse therapeutic process will be 6 months to 2 years, but it’s not unusual that a client will be with us for much longer. As many of our clients have longstanding and complex challenges, we can adapt our work to accommodate people’s special needs.